Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Mono Monday #23


(Link Above)


Have been interested in Mono Monday since Gator announced that it was coming!!!  Ask to come aboard right away!!!!  First week thought I would observe.  Copied and saved Gator's blogs on how to's thinking I would join in the next week and the next week.....  Well, the weeks got away and I felt like it was a missed opportunity but with some time from friends I got past the "Afraid to jump part."
Inspired by Gator's picture of Arlington, I took one I had of Arlington to see what I could do with it.  That was my first mistake as how could anyone be pleased after seeing the wonderful things Gator did with his photo!!!!

My first attempt before thinking:

Photo-bucket


1. took my b&w photo into gimp (which I know really nothing about) so I was trying to find my way around it and found the smudge tool......
2. went to brightness and contrast... darkened it a little and than messed with the contrast
3. went to filters... blur... selective Gaussian Blur and did that... than
4. somehow I had opened it in two layers.... on purpose but not knowing a thing about layering.... and so    at this point went under filter and animation and burn in to mix the two layers.... yes, I didn't know what in the heck I was doing....
5.  took it on to Photo-bucket but wasn't happy with what I did there.....bronzed the picture... and than clicked on "old photo".... and than to borders for the black around the edges
6. Then to tint... and tinted the whole thing a soft gray..... this was when I realized I would never like what was happening to it because Gator's was so perfect!!!!  So stopped.
The Carry-over into Photo-bucket (now this is really scary!):
Photo-bucket

This is the original:

This was when I spoke to my friend, Frannie and she introduced me to Picnik.....
so I took another photo.... one I had taken this weekend during my grandchildren time....
and played with it!!!!  Didn't write down the things I did.... just messed around....
Results of messing around:
Photo-bucket
This was the original:
Any tips, constructive criticism, or help would be greatly appreciated.  I'm thinking too, It will be a huge step when I get a regular photo program and get familiar with it !!! Will do some visiting and see what I can learn from you too, but it will have to start in the am as I work at night and must get some sleep after working last night!!!!
Everyone have a wonderful Tuesday!

16 comments:

  1. Hei Linda

    I just luv the b&w portrait at the end of this entry!
    Keep clickin' em pics.
    Hugiz

    ReplyDelete
  2. i liked your image with your grandchildren, linda. both are beautiful.

    but you know me, i love colours in general, i find life so very colourful, and the "black and white" images or thinking is not for me...
    appreciated your work, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. linda both are nice conversions.
    you might consider adobe elements 5.
    sweet Ps software.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mighty fine Conversion if I do say so myself Maynard...LOL
    Linda you did great, Looks like a portal where you see Arlington on the other side.
    The portrait is soft and beautiful and speaks a thousand words. Like we had talked before I would have liked just a little more light illuminating from behind your daughter and grandson.. Great Job... Keep up the good work... (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that first one! Looks like you made it for Halloween, all of the ghosts have come back to swirl around. Love it. The second one is so sweet. It looks so much nicer after you converted it, a softer look. Great job!

    Empress C's Mono

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL Such an intense look on your Grandson, do you recall what the story was?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man Linda .. that photo of you and your grandchild is just classic. Really beautiful. Your Arlington photo I certainly appreicated also .. it's like life, swirled around and gone so fast before it ends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you did a great job on both photos. I haven't been here long myself, but the more you 'play' around with your photos the more you'll learn.

    http://bonniels.multiply.com/journal/item/266/Mono_Monday_Plus_9_MM23

    ReplyDelete
  9. I kinda like the smudgy effect you created. It gives a softness in contrast to the starkness of Arlington. Nice work.
    I LOVE the story time shot! Lovely!!!

    I am just learning Gimp and it is a slow process, but you can do as much there as you can in bought programs. Picnik is fun to learn some of the basic effects and do some simple conversions! There are a few more free ones I see people using too! Don't be afraid to mix and match either! I have 3 programs I use!

    BTW, glad you are now playing too! Keep up the good work! We are all here to help!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. the one of you grandson is great! The one of Arlington almost looks like someone is seeing the horrible future in a dream. It looks so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, for someone that "doesnt know what they are doing'...you did a lot...well..LOL

    http://vickiecollins.multiply.com/journal/item/468/Mono_Monday_23

    ReplyDelete
  12. Linda, the photo of the lady and the little boy is sooo special! I much prefer your new version. You gave it heaps of atmosphere. The lighting is perfect. As for the others... the second one looks eerie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Linda I was so glad to see your link posted after I saw these as a sneak preview ...and you will find everyone here eager to help in anyway..if you see something they have done ask them and Im sure they will share...you have my comments from earlier and againall I can say is WELL DONE on both accounts and I am so glad you entered in the fun this week

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your cemetery pictures are great... I really like the last one..... glowingly.
    The picture of you and your grandchild is precious.

    http://trayne.multiply.com/journal/item/140

    ReplyDelete