Monday, April 7, 2008

Love....

 

Photobucket

A life with love will have some thorns,

but a life without love will have no roses.

~unknown

 

Photobucket

 

One of my favorite poets, Merrit Malloy,

 wrote most of her work in the 70's and 80's.

I have so many "ah-ha" moments when I read her words.

This one  brings thoughts about judging, comparison, and love.

 

 

 

Frames

 

 

For a long time . . .

I only saw things in comparison

 

I only knew myself

In relation to other people

. . . and not in relation to who I am

Or was . . .

. . . Or why

 

I only saw you

In a line-up of men

For me to consider

. . . And choose

 

But once I loved my family

Without question . . .

Without a frame or social ruler

Without a measurement or accounting

 

We lose a lot in judgements

Mostly people . . .

But especially ourselves . . .

 

.....................................................Love is out of context

.......................................It has to be . . .

..................................................................It's when we stop comparing

...................................That we love

~ Merrit Malloy

 

 

 

 

Photobucket

 

Love is a fruit in season at all times,

and within reach of every hand.

~ Mother Teresa

 

 

 

 

Photobucket

Wishing everyone a week

where they reach out

for the fruit and enjoy

with smiles, hugs, and laughter!

8 comments:

  1. Very nice. I try to live my life without judging others...it's not easy, but the fact is, I don't want others to do the same to me. Instead, to accept, and forgive me for the wrongs I've done, as I have already forgiven myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always found it easy to love but I was much older before I learned to love me and then could I love others better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love is something one becomes I believe. All the words that define love are actions that go outwards and habitual patterns one must be; like patient, understanding etc so it can be felt even when feeling rejected we know it is not us, one thorn of many yet we are still OK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "We can COMPLAIN because Roses have thorns: or REJOICE because thorns have Roses."
    Very similar to your quote Linda, Kind of describes LOVE too. Not sure who said this, but it has always stuck with me over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mitch's comment reminded me of the 13th Chapter of 1 Corinthians, Love is an ACTIVE/ACTION word, it is not passive.

    1. If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
    2. If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.
    3. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.
    4. Love is patient, love is kind, it is not jealous; love does not brag it is not arrogant,
    5. does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered,
    6. does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth;
    7. bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
    8. Love never fails

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda...this is so beautiful. Brings joy to my heart already. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so agree with you and I don't even know where to begin my comment... I know I need this post of yours tremendously... It's very timely. You made me "Ah - ha" too, Linda!

    This is what I agree the most:
    We lose a lot in judgements
    Mostly people . . .
    But especially ourselves . . .

    ReplyDelete