Sunday, April 13, 2008

Death by Chocolate....

 
 
 

The biggest part of my education these days comes from my grandchildren.  Yesterday was soccer day for Arianna (my oldest grandaughter) and though it is my week to work I spent the biggest part of the day with her, Estelle (her 9 month old sister) and my son.   As always it was a very educational visit........ for me.  Arianna told me that if I wanted to catch a mouse I needed to use chocolate. I must have looked a little surprised as her father informed me it was true.  When she had come home and told them, they looked it up on the internet and found that mice do indeed like chocolate.  They like it better than cheese. Not that I doubted it but had to look it up for myself.... and share....

 

 

Photobucket

 



'Death by chocolate' trap for mice

  • 14:39 17 July 2003
  • NewScientist.com news service
  • Shaoni Bhattacharya

 

A chocolate-scented mousetrap has been developed by UK scientists to catch the pests without the need for bait.

Contrary to popular belief, mice are more attracted to the scent of chocolate than the more traditional mouse-bait cheese, or other aromas like vanilla essence, according to Sorex Ltd, a manufacturer of rodent control products based in Cheshire, UK.

So the company enlisted researchers at the University of Warwick to help them produce a chocolate-based trap to capture the rodents. Sorex originally had the idea of putting melted chocolate into a depression within the trap.

"But we thought why not put the essences into the plastic itself?" says Ricky Singh, a senior research fellow in tooling, design and manufacture at the university. "That was the innovative part - making the product which already had the alluring smell."

The lack of bait makes the trap unique, says Martina Flynn, rodent control product manager with Sorex. "It makes it very easy to use in just one step."

Alluring combination

Singh and colleagues tested different types of plastic with varying concentrations of chocolate essence to discover the most alluring combination. Together with Sorex, they plumped for a plastic known as ABS with a five to 10 per cent concentration by weight of chocolate essence.

The plastic comes in polymer granules which have to be mixed by hand with the chocolate essence, Singh told New Scientist.

It is then put through a high-pressure injection moulding machine to shape the plastic. The trap, which looks similar to a conventional mousetrap, is moulded in four separate parts so the concentration of the chocolate aroma can be varied.

The mouse searches out the part of the trap with the highest concentration, says Singh. This is the spring-loaded base which, when trodden on by the mouse, snaps up and traps it. The sweet-smelling deathtrap has just completed trials and is already being used in hardware and agricultural sectors.

But its fatal aroma does have a shelf-life, says Singh. The chocolate fragrance may start to fade after six months. However, it can then be used as a conventional trap with chocolate or cheese offerings. The team is now investigating a spray-on scent that would rejuvenate faded traps.

Photobucket

 

ScienceDaily (Jul. 21, 2003)

 

A collaboration of the University of Warwick's Innovation Direct service, a free consultancy service for SMEs (Small and Medium Sized Enterprises) and Sorex Ltd, a leading manufacturer of rodent control products, from Cheshire, has developed the mousetrap made out of chocolate scented plastic.

A key part of the venture was to test what foods mice are most drawn to. Various essences were put into a cage to attract the rodents, including cheese, vanilla essence and chocolate. In contrast to the popular view that cheese is the mouse's favourite nibble, trials of the mousetrap carried out by Innovation-Direct showed that most mice prefer chocolate.

 

Now who would have guessed?...... maybe JohnOh

Sunday

27 comments:

  1. But...but...but....poor jerry....

    and who is going to empty the trap for me???

    honestly Linda ....this is fascinating.

    (I wasn't paid to say that either)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This mouse loves cheese. It's just a personal preference...

    ReplyDelete
  3. All this time I thought peanut butter was a mouse's favorite food. Chocolate!!?? What a waste of chocolate, think I would rather make friends with the mouse. Wonderful graphics!!! ROFLOL on the song title!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ROFL!!!!! @ Mr. Duck as Mr. Mouse. You guys must have a blast at your work from what I have seen you post of it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ROFLMAO @John making friends with the mice to save his chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. well you make friends who encourage and share the chocolate.....so I say gooooo John LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. ROFL ~ a girl can't even go take a shower without missing out on all the fun!!!!! Makes me not want to sleep for work tonight but alas, I must!!!
    Want to add that my point was proved very well with the appearance of the rather large mouse shortly after the word chocolate being posted!! (Chuck, the sanity level at your job place seems to be very simular to ours)
    Cherie ~ the check is in the mail (wink)!!!
    Thought you would like this, Giles....
    Annie, how true!!!! But do you think he is going to share it with the mice or just hoping they will share theirs? (So good to see you ~ I need to come visit!!!!)
    Baz, see what one can learn from grandchildren..... and there is so much more I could share (This one is 4 years old an speaks 4 languages)..
    .....off to have chocolate dreams!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm, now is that a low level of sanity then?

    We do what we can to alleviate the tension that can build in an accounting environment, as well as to build a team.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a scary thought Linda.....

    I can imagine waking from surgery to a giant mouse....OMG

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I'd be requesting more meds...or to have them reduced. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG, Cherie ~ We are scarey enough sometimes!
    ok...ok....to sleep now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ...I think it should be a mandatory thing to have chocolate and ice cream readily available in the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My vote would be for more meds, chocolate flavored of course

    ReplyDelete
  14. just hand me a chunk of the darkest chocolate available and I won't need any meds.

    ReplyDelete
  15. maybe coffee for when I come out of my chocolate induced coma....or what is more commonly known as a nap.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A CIC sounds great to me!!! what is best a MCIC, or DCIC, or a WCIC? Wonder if we could get a rather substantial government grant to study this?

    ReplyDelete
  17. snorting is very unladylike....I'm very glad no one could hear me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have known about the preference for awhile but I don't share my chocolate for such dire uses /:-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well you would certainly catch me with that mouse trap! Tell me, have you tried it and did it work? We had some mouse issues and we had some very strange recommendations for luring them to the trap with. Tomatoes were one recommendation we got!!!! Now I can't imagine why any self respecting mouse would turn his nose up at chocolate, tomatoes yes but not chocolate. What we found worked the best was a bit of peanut butter on bread. That and cheese were the top two favourites for UAE mice. I think if we used the chocolate we would have caught large two legged mice!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would suggest a bigger trap too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Now now John all we want to do is damage those filching fingers! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well.....you know what they say about "building a better mouse trap...." LOL....I say, as long as it keeps them out of MY chocolate....I'd sure buy one!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I WANT EAT YOUR MOUSES...HAHAHA ..BECAUSE I LIKE TO EAT MOUSES...MAYBE IN A ANTERIOR LIFE I WAS CAT..JUST A LITTLE CAT.HAHAHA....

    ReplyDelete
  24. I had never........ no wonder I couldn't keep chocolate in my pantry... DRATS..... I love the animated mousetrap though.... too cute and those little chocolate mice.. look easy enough to make. I just might try it.. would be fun. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete