Thursday, May 28, 2009

The List



Image and video hosting by TinyPic



The List

Do you have anything to be thankful for? In his classic novel Robinson Crusoe, author Daniel Defoe has shipwrecked Crusoe take inventory of his life. He makes two lists. One is a list of his problems. The other is an inventory of that for which he can give thanks.

A problem he writes is that he has no clothing. On his corresponding list he writes that the weather is warm and he really has little need for clothing. Another problem is that all of his provisions were lost at sea. But on the other list he writes that he has fresh fruit and water and can provide for himself. And so it goes. He lists his problems and likewise lists all that he has going for him. He is surprised at the size of the list of his assets.

How long would your list be if you took inventory of your blessings - all of that for which you can give thanks? For family. For friends. For faith. For health and the necessities of life. Did you know that some one million people will die this week...how is your health? Those who have food, clothing and shelter have more than much of our world's population will ever possess. Do you have these necessities of living?

How long would your list be if you took inventory of your blessings...and added one new item daily? Would you be amazed at the size of the list?

You have 1,440 minutes in every day. How would your life be different if you spent just 15 of those minutes daily giving thanks? Just 15 minutes filling your mind with concrete examples of how fortunate you are? Most of us would discover even after a few days that the exercise was life changing!

Poet Courtland Sayers put it this way:

      "Five thousand breathless dawns all new;
One million flowers fresh in dew. 
    Five thousand sunsets wrapped in gold
One million snowflakes served ice cold. 
      Five quiet friends, one baby's love;
One white sea of clouds above. 
      One June night in a fragrant wood;
One heart that loved and understood. 
      I wondered when I waked that day -
In God's name - how could I ever pay?"

Christian mystic Meister Eckhart said, "If the only prayer you say in your whole life is 'thank you,' that would suffice." I suspect he is right.



~ Steve Goodier
"Your Life Support"








I have the longest list!!!!
& So many of you are at the top of the list!
I wanted you to know!!!
Thank you so much...
for being you
And for being here!

13 comments:

  1. No I must say Linda Thank You for posting this. So many times in our busy lives we forget what we do have and bemoan what we have not. Going through the things(medical) in my life that I am right now, I have found my self wrapped in more love than I knew I had in the bank. That tops my list of what I am thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bring a smile to my face, and warmth to my heart... There are so many times when I ask, "Why is this happening," when I should be asking, "How is it that I am so lucky to have what I do?"

    It's difficult to count the blessings when the pains of everyday life seem to take so much of our energy, even though the energy gained if we did can be immense.

    Thank you Linda... You provide us all with a reminder that we are blessed to be alive, and to have such wonderful friends, and family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful post from a beautiful soul..and we share so many of those same blessings ..as i see your friends and mine showing up...and the all time great of louie armstrong and have a beautiful day you lovely lady you

    ReplyDelete
  4. You all are a true blessing.... I think Multiply is too. There are many wonderful people in my life ~ right here in town.... I have so many stories I could tell about truly amazing friends... there probably isn't enough room to do that, BUT without Multiply, it might have been impossible for such wonderful people from across the miles to meet. And I am so thankful.... A few things going on in my life now that have prevented me from being very social and still.... there you all are... always remembering and stopping by when you can. I don't know what ever made me deserve it and I don't even want to question it... I am just thankful... it is part of this wonderful life and this wonderful world. Never forget to include you in my prayers... and will continue to do so...
    You all are a true amazing blessing! God Bless you each!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda this is a wonderful post..... today I was having a 'why me' day as I am having a severe reaction to the antibiotic that I have been taking the last two weeks..... but this gentle reminder put things into perspective for me.... thank you..... God and His Word and blessings are always at the top of my list, my family and friends are my angels.... and like all of us that have found a home in our xply community, it is truly an extra blessing....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok......me the comic( no matter the topic!) was intrigued by the blog tittle . I'm thinkin' to myself( and I do that A LOT~LOL), I wonder if she devised the proverbial S**T list...and I best get my fluffy butt over to see if my name is on da list! ROFL
    *** now on a serious note, I am probably one of not too many that take time to "smell the coffee", watch a "butterfly", smell a "rose", look at the "pictures" in the sky that the clouds make, watch a breathless sunset, sunrise or a magical rainbow slice across the sky. Far too many people are far to busy making a LIFE that they forget how to LIVE ! I spend so much time reminding others to do these things I've been accused of becoming philosophical....rofl There is no greater artist in the entire universe that even comes close to GOD'S works! Thanks for a beautiful blog...if I were to sit down this very moment to make a list of my blessings....I would never live to see it finished~~Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sure puts things in perspective!!! But you ruined my pity party!!!! Wonderful "makes one think" post Linda!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And thank you for being you & being here!

    I do my gratitude list the moment I open my eyes every morning. It changes my whole perspective to life and I get up loving everybody I know & every little things that I have with me...

    You just made my day get much better... & I wish the same for you! Big hugsssss!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am thankful, for all the people you have touched, they have touched, we have touched...a gigantic family...blessings to all..there is always much more to be thankful for if for one second a day someone sees a miracle..and you are one..big hugs to you dear lady.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whenever I am down, I make a list of everything that I am thankful of and the the things that make me sad or angry. I always notice that my list for things to be grateful about is longer. I feel better after that. ^&^

    ReplyDelete
  11. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe said:
    Every day we should hear at least one little song, read one good poem, see one exquisite picture, and, if possible, speak a few sensible words.

    In your blog, you have done more than that: You are helping us to focus on what matters in life.

    ReplyDelete