Friday, October 31, 2008

Hooked On Giving


  

 Dr. Mar Aprem holds two master's degrees in Church History.  He is the author of 65 books on church history, theology, social issues, and even humour.

.Photobucket................................................................ Photobucket



Dr. Mar Aprem of the ancient Chaldean Orthodox Church of the East in India tells a funny story about when a member of the church won a lottery worth 100,000 rupees. His wife went to the bishop and told him that she was afraid to tell this glad news to her husband because he had a heart problem and any sudden excitement could cause a heart attack.
Photobucket
The bishop offered to break the news gently to
her husband. He visited the house and asked the man, "Wouldn't it be a good thing if you won 1,000 rupees in the lottery?" The man replied that he still would have to work to support his family.
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
"What about 10,000 rupees?" the bishop asked. The man still showed no excitement, so the bishop
 carefully raised the amount to 50,000 and
finally to 100,000 rupees.
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
"If I got 100,000 rupees, I would give half of it to you, your Excellency," the man replied.
Photobucket
The bishop had a heart attack, and the man called an ambulance.
Photobucket
We can get excited about winning and getting. But have you learned how fun it is to give -- and not
 only money? Engineering and machinery genius R. G. LeTourneau (1888 - 1969) discovered the great joy that can come of generosity. Besides establishing a private school (today's LeTourneau University), that remarkable man reportedly gave 90 percent of his income to worthwhile causes, while living on the remaining 10 percent. He became hooked on giving!
Photobucket
And like I said, money is not the only commodity that is fun to give. We can give time, we can give our expertise, we can give our love or
simply give a smile. What does that cost? The point is, none of us can ever run out of something worthwhile to give.
Photobucket
Giving is fun. And addictive.

Photobucket

HOOKED ON GIVING

by Steve Goodier

from Your Life Support

 

 

Photobucket

 

Wishing each & everyone a

Photobucket

Give your smile, your heart, your time

&

Enjoy your weekend!

14 comments:

  1. So true a posting. Huggers 8=)

    ... do those ribbons come in blue?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and John are the best giver's I've ever met Linda.....Your hearts are so big and you give with joy. We could all learn from you.


    oh and Bill....I don't think the lady would care what color ribbon as long as you were at her doorstep...

    ReplyDelete
  3. John really is a giver.... so many people know how unselfishly he gives... thinking all that giving must make for a very happy heart... no wonder he smiles so much!

    hmmm, Blue.... looks like Cherie answered that question!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The reason John smiles so much......well yes giving but I think he has a much better reason...one of the same ones that make me smile too....
    (okay maybe not exactly the same reason but the same person)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just shows to go, it isn't the color ... but the gift.

    Come, take my hand,
    walk this never-ending road with me.
    Smell the breeze,
    hold onto the light,
    walk among the daisies,
    relish the moment of life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved you blog today!! Me thinks............YOU are a most generous giver!!!
    God Bless.... ♥(((HUGS)))♥
    Many *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a great feeling to give... You're right in that it doesn't require money to give. I have, in the past, and would love to again, volunteered my time to the Special Olympics. I did that for 3 years while in high school and for several years after. The kids I coached were the most appreciative and wonderful kids I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. When I graduated I was presented with a Special Olympics Gold Medal (one of my kids won it for the shot put event). He sacrificed that hard won medal to give me something for allowing that to happen. It was one of the most rewarding time of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful music Linda....listen to the words....how true.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does the size of the bow have any significance??

    ReplyDelete
  10. And yes Cherie I am smiling for that reason too!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ROFL.... I think the answer to that one would fall under the same answer Cherie gave about the color of the bow, John!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I must have missed this blog, somehow a few of my friends posts never show up in my inbox.

    Anyhow, I agree completely with you. Living with an attitude where we shares our gifts, whatever it might be, is truly wonderful. This blog is a wise reminder of that, you said it all so well :) and your clip art and images are perfect!

    I want to add one thing:
    We should also remember to welcome what other people want to give us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. In order to keep it one must give it away. Love is a box of gifts that go outward to others. Money is truly the root of evil when fertilized by greed. A wonderful blog about the unconditional found in true giving.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great blog, Linda! Sometimes, people tend to have the "What about me" attitude, and don't think that they have anything to share... I think we'd all do well to remember that at times, just a smile is the one gift someone may be needing that day... it's not expensive, and not a hard thing to pass along...

    ReplyDelete