Saturday, July 25, 2009

Believe it

 
 

 





BELIEVE IT

Writer Norman Cousins tells about a football game at which a doctor
found himself treating five spectators for stomach disorder. Each
complained of nausea, dizziness and cramps. Upon checking, the doctor
learned that all five had previously consumed soft drinks from the
arena's concession stands. In the interest of protecting public
safety, an announcement was made to the crowd that it would be wise to
forego drinks in the stadium because certain people were becoming ill.

By the third quarter of the game, 200 people – all of whom had been
slurping sodas – were reporting the same symptoms. Half of these
hurried off to a nearby hospital. Later in the afternoon the doctor
determined that his five original patients had also eaten potato salad
from the same delicatessen on the way to the game. The potato salad,
not the drinks, was apparently the culprit.

An announcement was made. Almost immediately those who were sick felt
remarkably better. The fans taken to the hospital were sent home as
their symptoms quickly disappeared.

All of this goes to show the tremendous power of belief. What we
believe to be true will often become true.

The power of our beliefs will dramatically affect our future. Like
automaker Henry Ford said, "Whether you think you can or not, you are
right." If you believe you will succeed or fail, you are probably
right. If you believe strongly enough that something good or bad will
surely happen to you, it likely will.

Mahatma Gandhi found this principle to be true in his own experience.
"If I believe I cannot do something, it makes me incapable of doing
it," the Indian leader said. "But when I believe I can, then I acquire
the ability to do it, even if I did not have the ability in the
beginning."

Where did that ability come from? Was it the sheer power of his belief
that gave him the capacity to do what seemed impossible? He was sure
that was the case.

Great belief is great power. And probably more than any other single
factor, great belief that something just might be possible … can bring
about what we want in life.

Believe it.






from "Your Life Support"

  by Steve Goodier
















18 comments:

  1. Linda you are such an inspiration............this post is very timely for me this morning.

    I BELIEVE...........this morning I believe.

    Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this may come as a surprise, but I needed to hear this too ~ lol...
    And I know it is so true....
    Just got a call from my granddaughter and she wants me to come over early and go to the Farmers Market with them.. so I am rushing out the door and I had planned on visiting for the next two hours..... BUT you can't say no to a, "Nanna, I love you."
    Will come around later for sure....
    I believe we will all have a very good day today!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah I wouldnt be able to resist it either :) You have a great time girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your day with the grand daughter. Hugs.................

    ReplyDelete
  5. what an awesome post linda, great words, and great music. thank you for sharing this inspiration with us. i believe i will give you a big HUG : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES! I usually think so Linda, Anyway "people who has a strong Belief can be saved " it's a famous proverb here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. excellent blog!
    we should be careful with our wishes too..they can simply come through!

    *sigh* your writing is always so encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wonderful inspiring read Linda, great way to start the morning

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always maintained that we live at the total sum of our choices in life and if our life is not as we want we can always change our choices. Our attitude and outlook on life so critical in the quality of our lives. An attitude is simply an action, thought or feeling that reflects an opinion from beliefs. The power in positive or negative thinking is found in how I view myself and others. Living with low opinions is the high cost of that low living. Keeping a positive attitude and outlook is the low cost of high living I believe.

    Always refreshing to stop here and read your blogs which give hope its light. Thank You Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agreed. This so much reminds me of something I put to people now and then ... "Possibilities. With possibilities, we have everything. Without possibilities, we have nothing."

    If you want a dream to come true, wake up and make it happen.

    Have a grand weekend, Linda. Huggers 8=)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very good post..and I hear yah.."Nanna I love you" they got us wrapped around their little fingers...thats for sure...and we love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometimes I hold on to believing with claw marks....sometimes like today I let go and my friends have to hold on to my beliefs until I can find the strength to take them again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So very true Linda. And a very gorgeous song. I only wish I could have achieved this power when I was younger. Who knows where I would be right now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for this... sometimes it helps to be reminded.

    ReplyDelete